28 February 2015

Daughter by Jane Shemilt

Title: Daughter
Author: Jane Shemilt
Pages: 390
Genre: Mystery, Crime, Thriller, Contemporary
Book Description: 
Jenny is a successful family doctor, the mother of three great teenagers, married to a celebrated neurosurgeon.

But when her youngest child, fifteen-year-old Naomi, doesn’t come home after her school play, Jenny’s seemingly ideal life begins to crumble. The authorities launch a nationwide search with no success. Naomi has vanished, and her family is broken.

As the months pass, the worst-case scenarios—kidnapping, murder—seem less plausible. The trail has gone cold. Yet for a desperate Jenny, the search has barely begun. More than a year after her daughter’s disappearance, she’s still digging for answers—and what she finds disturbs her. Everyone she’s trusted, everyone she thought she knew, has been keeping secrets, especially Naomi. Piecing together the traces her daughter left behind, Jenny discovers a very different Naomi from the girl she thought she’d raised.




My Opinion:
This genre is one of my favourite types to read so I was really inclined to read it. Then when I saw the quote from Tess Gerritsen at the bottom I had to buy it because I love Tess' crime novels! I have to say this was a great read and it definitely did what it set out to do.

I was constantly intrigued when reading Daughter. The beginning was straight to the event and quite fast paced. I remember there was a small section in the middle that was a bit slow as things were being described and explained but that's irrelevant because a really unexpected twist occurred afterward! I ended up reading this into early hours of the morning to finish it and the ending was sad but unexpected! I have so many unanswered questions; It was frustrating to end it so ambiguously but it was so good at the same time and I definitely think there's room for a sequel here...

The main thing I liked about this novel was the writing style. You get a clear sense of the mother's feelings (as it's written in her point of view) and there's a strong connection between her and her daughter. I can feel the heartache and panic and curiosity the mother is going through and that was a really personal touch that I enjoyed.

I also liked how it switched tense. This happened very often at the beginning but they gaps between got longer as the story line expanded. I think this worked very well as it incorporated past and present occurrences.

Altogether I would definitely recommend this novel. It includes suspense, mystery and heartache (I may or may not have teared up a little at the end....) An all round great book with accuracy and deals with real-life issues. It's perfect for those who love unexpected twists and tension!



Rating ★
5 out of 5 stars

Next book I'm going to review:
Maus I; A Survivors Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!