7 March 2015

Maus I; A Survivors Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman

Title: Maus I; A Survivors Tale: My Father Bleeds History 
Author: Art Spiegelman
Pages: 160
Genre: Graphic novel, History
Book Description: 
A story of a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe and his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father's story and history itself.




My Opinion:
Holocaust Memorial day recently passed and I felt like I should read this graphic novel. I've heard a lot of good things about it so when I saw it in my local library I decided to pick it up.

I think this book was extremely well written so I understand why it's critically acclaimed, however I feel like it didn't do as much for me as I hoped.
I thought the art work was amazing. I liked how it was in black and white as I felt like this linked well with the story and the meaning behind it, how those people had no colour in their lives due to the horrific events they experienced.

The idea of having the Jews as mice and Nazi's as cats was a really creative and unique idea which I thoroughly enjoyed. I think this brought a lot to the book as meaning behind it is very powerful.
I also liked how the story line switched from past to present so we got to see what his father was like in the past, as well as how he acted in the present. It was interesting to see how those events had shaped/impacted his life.

Although I really enjoyed this book, I didn't find it as amazing as I was hoping it to be. I might pick up the second book in the series but I'm not desperate to read it. I would recommend it if you enjoy historical/biographical novels or are just interested in the topic. This was a quick and interesting read, certainly something I would recommend.


Rating ★
3 out of 5 stars

Next book I'm going to review:
What Lies Between by Charlena Miller

2 comments:

  1. Like you, I've heard loads of amazing things about this book and I've been looking forward to reading it. I find it pretty interesting that you didn't find it to live up to the hype so I'm looking forward to trying it for myself. I've been wanting to read more graphic novels/comics for ages and I think that this will be a good one to choose next.

    Killian
    http://leaf-on-the-breeze.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I honestly thought it could have been better but I'm still interested in reading the second graphic novel in the Maus series :) I agree, I want to start reading more graphic novels but I read them so quickly and they're so expensive so I want to make sure they're really good!
      I'd love to hear you opinion on this book!

      Delete

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!