2 February 2016

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Title: To Kill a Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
Pages: 324 
Genre: Classic, Historical
Book Description:
The unforgettable novel of a childhood in a sleepy Southern town and the crisis of conscience that rocked it, To Kill A Mockingbird became both an instant bestseller and a critical success when it was first published in 1960. It went on to win the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 and was later made into an Academy Award-winning film, also a classic.

Compassionate, dramatic, and deeply moving, To Kill A Mockingbird takes readers to the roots of human behavior—to innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humor and pathos. Now with over 18 million copies in print and translated into forty languages, this regional story by a young Alabama woman claims universal appeal. Harper Lee always considered her book to be a simple love story. Today it is regarded as a masterpiece of American literature.





My Opinion:
When I heard about the release of 'Go set a Watchman,' (the sequel to this) I knew I had to read it! Some people in my school did this at GCSE for literature however I studied different books.

I have to say that is one of the most remarkable classics I've read for a while. Set in the 1960s, we follow the lives of Scout and Jem Finch as they make their small neighbourhood exciting. This fun all turns when their father decides to stand up against a black man who has been charged for a serious crime.

This story line is really well written. Filled with humour and happiness, comfort and sadness, this has something for everyone. The court scene, which was towards the ending of the novel was really interesting and I was hooked the entire way through. Finding out what really happened, added a mystery to the novel which is something I always love; causing me to read the book in less than 2 days!
Although it's a classic, the writing is understandable and follows the perspective of a child, which isn't common in many books today. It's nice to read something that's more unique. 

Now, the characters! The children were such lovely characters with each their own distinct traits. Scout made me giggle a lot, especially the scene with her halloween costume!
Atticus Finch, however, was phenomenal. He had such a lovely personality and followed strong morals. I felt that he was a fantastic father figure to Jem and Scout and, despite the racism during the time period, still stood up for what was right. I do believe him to be one of my favourite book characters of all time!

To finish, this was absolutely fantastic! With an intriguing plot line focusing on serious issues during that time and, to some extent, today, this is definitely a must-read classic. I felt very educated afterward and hope to read the sequel soon:)

Favourite Quotes:


You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it

~~~~

Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing

~~~~

Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird

~~~~

Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'


Rating ★
5 out of 5 stars 

After reading this novel, which I have to say is now one of my favourite books ever, I'm going to watch the 1960s film version. It's completely in black and white which just makes the experience of watching classic books as films even more authentic! Plus the actor that plays Finch was fantastic in his day so I already know it's going to be great:)



 Next book I'm going to review:
Room by Emma Donoghue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!