19 April 2016

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Title: A Clockwork Orange
Author: Anthony Burgess
Pages: 192
Genre: Classic, Dystopian, Science Fiction
Book Description:
A vicious fifteen-year-old "droog" is the central character of this 1963 classic, whose stark terror was captured in Stanley Kubrick's magnificent film of the same title.

In Anthony Burgess's nightmare vision of the future, where criminals take over after dark, the story is told by the central character, Alex, who talks in a brutal invented slang that brilliantly renders his and his friends' social pathology. A Clockwork Orange is a frightening fable about good and evil, and the meaning of human freedom. When the state undertakes to reform Alex—to "redeem" him—the novel asks, "At what cost?"


My Opinion:

Based in a dystopian world, we follow the life of a teenage rebel who goes a little too far with his violence and finds himself inside a human laboratory. This is a fantastic view into the future with many thought provoking scenes and a strong message.

When I first began reading this, I did struggle to get into the modern world. There was a completely different language with new names and descriptions so although this was understandable, I found that it took a while for me to get used to this therefore causing the start to feel a little slow.

Despite finding it hard to get into the novel at first, it really picked up when the protagonist was sent to jail and tested on. I really enjoyed this feature as I was constantly unaware of what to expect and in anticipation.

The ending was equally gripping and I really liked the realisation that the main character came to. It was quite a short read which was good as I read it quickly and felt like everything was covered and ended happily.

Another factor I really was the recurring message of 'what's it gonna be then?' This question was often asked throughout and I feel like it was a center that we as readers kept returning to. I liked the effect it had as encouraging thought and bringing the novel back into a circle.

Although this was a really good, I doubt I'd read it again. I do recommend it to all readers as it's a well known classic and is quite short so won't take much time. Despite it's slow start, it became really promising so definitely persevere with it!

Favourite Quotes:

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

~~~~

We can destroy what we have written, but we cannot unwrite it

~~~~

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you watch them on a screen

~~~~

What's it going to be then, eh?
Rating
3 out of 5 stars 

 Next book I'm going to review:
The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!