6 August 2014

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Hello, this is my first book review! Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy, I'm open to questions, comments, advice and book recommendations:)



Title: Rebecca
Author: Daphne Du Maurier
Pages: 428
Genre: Dark fiction
Book Description:
Working as a lady's companion, the heroine of Rebecca learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proposal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamourous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man. And the memory of his dead wife Rebecca is forever kept alive by the forbidding housekeeper, Mrs Danvers...


My Opinion:
I read this book in under a week and enjoyed it very much. I love dark novels and this is definitely one I recommend. It's about a young girl who marries a man only to discover he isn't who she thinks he is.

The beginning of the book was a little slow. This didn't last long though because everything about the style of writing and dialogue kept me wanting to read on. There were a few unexpected twists throughout the novel which left me feeling shocked and intrigued. 
Another reason why I loved this book is because the narrator is a relatable character. I felt I could personally connect on some levels with her and this made the book more intriguing.

My only criticism is that the ending confused me a little but that could be because I finished it late at night!

I highly recommend this book if you enjoy dark and mysterious novels. 

Rating:
★★★★
4 out of 5 stars



Next book I'm going to review:
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult


Follow me on good reads to keep up with what I'm reading!
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/29463182-jenniespraggs

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, when I first saw the cover, I thought it definitely looked really dark! And of course, the plot had to be pretty dark to match ^^ I am glad you enjoyed it! I am not sure about picking it up because I don't think this is my kind of book and I'm terrible at bad at slow beginnings!

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/08/angeions-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what drew me into the book! I'm a huge fan of Gothic books and for my college course I was suggested to read this. I'm so glad did because it was a really good book and I loved the ambiguous ending...

      This review isn't that good compared to my more recent reviews because it's my first one haha :/

      Delete

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!