25 September 2014

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Title: Ugly Love 
Author: Colleen Hoover
Pages: 320
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Book Description: 
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly



I took part in another read-a-long with my favourite book bloggers, Tika, Mal and Blessie! We all read a certain number of chapters each day and had discussions about the book! It was quite difficult to discuss the book where all members of the read-a-long were present, because we all live in different places around the world! Nevertheless, we managed it and I look forward to doing many more read-a-longs into the future with these wonderful girls! Anyway, onto the review:

My Opinion: 


I don't tend to read romance novels very often but I have to say this is one of the best! I've never read any of Colleen's books before so this was a first... I didn't think I would get into it after reading the blurb but I did and I enjoyed it so much!

When I began reading this book, I didn't have an urge to read on... I mean I was intrigued, thanks to Miles, but if I had stopped reading then and there it wouldn't have bothered me. But then everything kicked off and I literally couldn't put it down!

I loved the mysterious aspect running through because I kept wanting to find out what happened in Miles' past and who was Rachel? As the book continued I found myself really enjoying the past and present feature running through. It meant we could find out what was happening in the present with Tate and Miles, but were also able to get an insight into Miles' history.

The characters were wonderfully written! I loved how relatable Tate was, how protecting Corbin was of his little sister and the mysteries behind Miles. My favourite character, although he wasn't one of the main characters, had to be Cap! He was so kind-hearted and caring and he said some of the best quotes in the novel (most of the ones below were said by him >.< )

What I loved the most however, was the twist. I'm trying my very hardest not to go blurgh and spill the most unexpected part of the novel! All of us taking part in the read-a-long had a discussion about theories we thought could happen (and we had a lot of theories) but none of them came close to what actually happened! Right, I'm going to stop talking about this because I don't want to spoil it for anyone!

Lastly, I really liked the 'water' aspect running throughout the novel. Not only does this link to the twist but it also links to Tate and the way she feels! This was a lovely unique touch!

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a good romance novel. There are some scenes that involve sex so I'd probably advise mature teenagers to read it... Anyway this novel suits anyone who enjoys romance and new adult novels!


 Favourite Quotes: 


Her eyes are sad. Her thoughts are sadder.

~~~~

Sometimes not speaking says more than all the words in the world

I wonder what his silence is saying

~~~~

'It's impressive. Defying gravity? Watching sunrises and sunsets from places Mother Nature didn't intend for you to watch them from?'

~~~~

'And I realised... just now... that God gives us the ugliness so we don't take the beautiful things in life for granted.'

~~~~

There's nothing in the world that compares to the feel and smell of brand-new rain

~~~~

'People are more interesting at night,' he says. 'I like to sleep late. Avoid all the fool who are in too much of a rush in the mornings.'

~~~~

It's the beautiful moments like these that make up for the ugly love




 Rating ★

4 out of 5 stars


 Next book I'm going to review:
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

8 comments:

  1. I've been interested in this book, but I've read some reviews that have compaired this relationship to abusive relationships. Is it really that bad? Or do you think some people are just being too sensitive about it? I'd like to read it, but not if he's abusive to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think this is an abusive relationship, I just think people have different opinions on 'friends with benefts.' It's a little bit like mustard... You either love the idea of having sex with no strings attached or you hate it! (That was a really weird example sorry ahaa)
      I would certainly advise you to read it! I really enjoyed it and I saw nothing abusive about it! All he did was mess with her feelings :) If you do read it let me know what you think!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jennie. I'll be adding it to my TBR then. It sounds really good. I'll let you know what I think if I can manage to get it read soon. Thanks again, great review!

      Delete
    3. No problem! I hope you enjoy it :) I look forward to seeing your review!

      Delete
  2. I wanted to include all of our screenshots to the group conversation but we had soooo manyyy spoilers! I think people would have thought our theories were hilarious, because girl we were completely off. I remember you saying that you don't really read these type of novels, and with the content I didn't even stop to think "Is Mal and Jennie going to want to read this?" You guys are so mature for your ages that I forget how old you are 98.99% of the time lmao. But you had a great review Jen! Cap was also my favorite character, and you included some quotes that I completely forgot about! Good work girlie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Tika! This review was so difficult to write because I wanted to talk about so much but everything was a spoiler haha!
      I don't tend to read romance novels but I've been trying to expand my reading genres so this was a good start to getting myself into romance:)

      Delete
  3. I do love a good romance novel so I might have to pick this one up at some point! Everyone says Colleen is a brilliant author and it's about time I got into knowing what they are talking about ^^ I think it's good that you went and tried something out of your usual reading zone.

    Check out my review and giveaway; http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/09/waiting-for-dusk-book-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, I'm going over to your blog as soon as I have finished this reply hehe!
      I really enjoyed it, I think this novel might start getting me into other romances so I guess it was a good choice to start with :) I haven't read any of her other books but I'm really intrigued to read Hopeless, after reading a little extract/snippet of it in the back of Ugly Love!

      Delete

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!