1 December 2015

More Than This by Patrick Ness

Title: More Than This
Author: Patrick Ness
Pages: 480
Genre: Young Adult, Science-Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery
Book Description: 
A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.

Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.

How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?






My Opinion:
I've heard many fantastic things about Patrick Ness so I decided to pick up this book. Especially when I saw John Green, one of my favourite authors, had recommended it I knew it had to be good! And it was!

Straight away I was hooked. It's about a boy that dies but wakes up in another world. Here he meets some other people and together they try to discover where they are and what's going on. The constant mystery running through this book is so gripping, I couldn't put it down. Just as one mystery is revealed, another is discovered. In fact, I think I read this in almost 1 day, it's that good!

Dystopians are one of my favourite book genres, so when I saw that this had elements of that, I was over the moon. The deserted landscape, lack of civilisation and over-advanced technology are just some of the features described.

Another reason this book is amazing is due to characters. I really felt like they came off the page with their realistic personalities and deep pasts. Discovering the characters bit by bit was an interesting technique used by Ness and I feel this worked really well with the theme of the book.

Although I didn't want the book to finish, the ending was amazing. It's ambiguous and leaves the decision to the reader, which is something I really enjoy. There is definitely the potential for a series to form here ;)

This is a serious recommend from me. It's perfect for any audience, especially young adults. I loved every aspect of this and definitely indent to read more novels by him!


Favourite Quotes:


A book… it’s a world all on its own too. A world made of words, where you live for a while

~~~~

Know yourself and go in swinging

~~~~

There's always beauty, if you know where to look

~~~~

It was solitude, but it was solitude that wasn't lonely. Solitude that could sort things out. And he hadn't had that in ages.

Rating ★
5 out of 5 stars

Next book I'm going to review:
The Help by Katherine Stockett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!