22 December 2015

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger

Title: The Catcher in the Rye
Author: J.D Salinger
Pages: 198
Genre: Classic
Book Description:
 It begins,
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.





My Opinion:
I have so much to say about this book so I'll try and keep it short and sweet. It's amazing. Even the word amazing doesn't describe how awesome it is. This is definitely in my top 10 favourite books of all time.

In this timeless classic, we follow the story of Holden Caufield, a teenager who is just trying to find his way in life. This is one of the most relatable books I've read in a long time, so I certainly recommend reading it as a teenager, and even if you're not a teenager read it anyway. I feel like this book tells me all the things no one ever told me as a teenager.

I believe this protagonist to be one of my favourite characters in literary history. He's very to the point and factual about how he feels and I love that. And depending on his environment, he can be confident/ careless or shy, so we get to see all sides of him, making him so much more real.

Inside this book, there are lots of little stories that the protagonist tells about his younger life and some of these are quite humorous. I enjoyed these a lot as well as the main story line. It's also a very easy read.

I don't have any faults to mention about this book. Overall, it's fantastic and I urge everyone to read it. It's funny and sad and very, very well written. And despite it's publication being years ago, it's still talked about now, which I think says it all! There's so much more I could say about this book, but I think I'll leave it down to you to find out:)


Favourite Quotes:


What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though

~~~~

Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody

~~~~

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one

~~~~

And I have one of those very loud, stupid laughs. I mean if I ever sat behind myself in a movie or something, I'd probably lean over and tell myself to please shut up

~~~~

People never notice anything


Rating ★ 
5 out of 5 stars 

 Next book I'm going to review:
That Face by Polly Stenham

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!