12 July 2016

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Title: Stardut
Author: Neil Gaiman
Pages: 250
Genre: Fantasy, Gothic, Romance
Book Description:
Young Tristran Thorn will do anything to win the cold heart of beautiful Victoria—even fetch her the star they watch fall from the night sky. But to do so, he must enter the unexplored lands on the other side of the ancient wall that gives their tiny village its name. Beyond that old stone wall, Tristran learns, lies Faerie—where nothing, not even a fallen star, is what he imagined.




My Opinion:
After watching the film based on this novel and really enjoying it, I felt it was necessary to read the novel! I have read a few of Gaiman's books before and have loved their creativity, so I had high hopes for this one.

A common theme in all of his novels seems to be the gothic nature in which he writes. I love this aspect and found it to be quite prominent in this novel. This is very different to the film adaption, which isn't gothic at all but more imaginative and fantasy based, so I did enjoy hearing it from a darker side.

The story line was definitely intriguing so I found myself reading the book quickly! There were many twists, especially at the end which some aspects could be seen as predictable (for instance the romance part) however other sections I wasn't expecting! I loved the ending for this reason.

As for the characters, these were wonderfully creative and easy to relate and connect to. Some characters, like Tristan really developed throughout the novel and this was lovely to read about as he grew from a naive boy to a gentleman. Some of them followed with the gothic vibe, such as the witches, which was also interesting to discover.

Overall this was an enjoyable book to read and I would recommend. The fantasy world created by Gaiman is incredible and easy to lose yourself in. Compared to other novels I've read by him, I wouldn't say this is his best book, but definitely worth a read!

Favourite Quotes:

She says nothing at all, but simply stares upward into the dark sky and watches, with sad eyes, the slow dance of the infinite stars

~~~~

A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?" Pointless, really..."Do the stars gaze back?" Now, that's a question

~~~~

Every lover is, in his heart, a madman, and, in his head, a minstrel

~~~~

He wondered how it could have taken him so long to realize he cared for her, and he told her so, and she called him an idiot, and he declared that it was the finest thing that ever a man had been called


Rating ★
4 out of 5 stars 

 Next book I'm going to review:
The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!